TEAM SSMS Hurricanes: “Find the Missing Piece”
- PLC Curriculum areas will meet Wednesday, November 14th, from 8:30 – 9:10. Check with your Curriculum Leader for meeting location.
- Faculty Meeting will be Wednesday, November 14, 2012, from 3:05 – 4:00 pm. Topic of discussion: Teacher Evaluation System
- Check out the HURRICANE WEEKLY TAB for all the happenings this week
- Flexible Scheduling Committee: Brent Ougel has been selected to Chair the Flexible Scheduling Committee. The committee members will be visiting Milwee and Millennium Middle School in the next view weeks. Millennium has utilized a modified block schedule for approximately 10 years and Milwee is in it’s second year of inception. Attached was the agenda for the last meeting.
SSMS Flexible Scheduling Committee-Meeting 1
- Magnet Night was a Great Success. We hosted approximately 150 families. Hats off to Mr. Fitzwater and all the Global LINK and Core Academic teachers that made this night memorable for many. Brandon Bradley, Student Government President, did a great job speaking to the parents and students. Congratulate him when you get a chance.
- Magnet PLC mark your calendars for: Thursday Nov 15, 2012 at 8:30 in Room 201
- Another Shout out to Kathi Wells for organizing our first Annual “Bring Your Parent to School Day”! During their “Academic Lunch Detention”, the Coaches provided them with tools to continue to make their students successful. The unsung Hero who came up with this idea is …drum roll… Jessica Brantley. Keep those ideas coming! An additional Shout out from Kathi Wells… “A big thank you goes out to our coaches- Alicia Carver, Anne-Margret Strudgeon and Karen Gundal -for putting on a great workshop for our parents last week. Also thanks goes to Josey Pagan, Yeshih Haile, Jessica Brantley, Peter Testa and Phyllis Testa for their help in making Bring your Parent to School Day a success. We had over 100 parents during the two days. Parents were impressed with all that teachers manage to do each day. Thanks goes to all the teachers for showing the parents what middle school is really like! – Kathi Wells
- American Education Week,will be observed from November 12‐16, 2012.This week is highlighted by an annual national celebration of public education which includes visitors to the schools. Parents, business leaders, and community members can enhance learning by going into a classroom for an hour or for the whole school day on the Seminole Teach‐In Day which is being held on Tuesday, November 13, 2012.The contact for this day is Diane Taylor. Below is the schedule of presenters for Tuesday:
Teach In Schedule 2012
- 6th Grade Health Screenings Thursday Nov. 15, 2012. If you have questions, contact Michael Fitzwater.
2012 Health Screening
- Everyone who attended the Professional Development Mission I on Oct 3 and Nov 7, please fill out your learning log. You can the learning log on the share folder in the Professional Development folder. Please print out the one for your section and place them in Kathi Wells’ mailbox or office. Deadline for submission of the forms is November 16.
PBS LearningMedia (pbslearningmedia.org) and The Henry Ford (thehenryford.org) are presenting the third annual Teacher Innovator Awardsto recognize innovative PreK – 12 educators, media specialists who use digital media to enhance student learning.
What Can I Win?
1st PRIZE: The top TEN winners will participate in an all-paid, week-long “Innovation Immersion Experience” at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan, August 2013, plus receive a FREE PBS TeacherLine professional development course.
2nd PRIZE: TEN second place winners will receive a Promethean ActiView document camera.
Entry is easy – simply…Sign up and get the inside scoop at pbslearningmedia.org/innovators.
All Winners: All first and second place winners PLUS TEN third place winners will receive a tote bag chock-full of goodies from PBS & The Henry Ford.
Submit a video clip or story PDF with a brief description showing how you innovate in your classroom. Deadline: Entries accepted now through December 12, 2012. Winners will be notified by March 31, 2013.
- UCF will host a forum on training and nutrition for young athletes and future Olympians on Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. at the Morgridge International Reading Center on the main campus in East Orlando. The public is invited; admission and parking is free but event registration required. We would like to bring this event to the attention of your students and faculty members who may be interested in attending. It is aimed at young athletes, athletic coaches, parents and anyone who may be interested in nutrition, conditioning and human performance.The forum will include an opportunity for athletes to test on the latest equipment in UCF’s Human Performance Laboratory. National experts on conditioning, strength training and nutrition will discuss how to improve and monitor athletes’ performance through best practices.The event flyer which can be accessed at http://education.ucf.edu/Spotlight/docs/TrainingNutritionEventFlyer.pdf. Registration is available at http://education.ucf.edu/form/Sport_reg.cfm. For more information contact Dr. Jeff Stout at 407-823-0211 or Jeffrey.Stout@ucf.edu.
Have a Great Week Hurricanes!