Hello Hurricanes!! Putting the simple principle stated above to work fundamentally transforms schools. As we continue our focus on utilizing our data to drive instruction, a frequent objection is that a focus on assessment amounts to empty “teaching to the test”. However, in the end, data-driven instruction is not about teaching to the test; it is about testing the teaching. That makes all the difference. (This excerpt was taken from “Leverage Leadership”). We will delve into how to effectively use data at our October 14, 2013 In service.
Click Here for the Up-to-date Happenings on the Hurricane Weekly
Leadership Binders are in! If you emailed Danielle and told her that you needed a specific quantity of binders then please go pick up your binders from Ms. Madrid. If you haven’t emailed Danielle your binder request, please do so asap. Please only take what you need.
On Tuesday during 8th period,Literacy Time, we will launch One Book, One School. Please show the power point to your students and complete the activities. Turn in completed cause and effect charts to Ms. Shanoff, old discipline office, by Wednesday. The best cause and effect chart from each grade will receive a prize the following Tuesday. If there is extra time, students can work on organizing their Leadership notebooks and their 7 Tracking Sheets.
Project Wisdom: See Project Wisdom Information for Wednesday, October 2, 2013 below
Optional Marzano Professional Development this week:
- We will offer 2 OPTIONAL Marzano Placemat overview sessions. If you are interested in attending either session, please sign up on EIS, asap, so that we will have an accurate count. The session will be worth 2 points. If you would like to attend on Tuesday 10/1 from 8-9 am please sign up for #6569 or if you would like to attend on Wednesday 10/2 from 3-4 please sign up for #6566. Contact Mr. Bess or Mrs. Ciocca with questions. This is a great opportunity for new teachers and/or teachers who would like to deepen their understanding of the indicators.
Community Service Club Activity-October 4: This is our culminating activity for the past four weeks. By this time students should have created their pinwheels. On Friday, we will make an announcement at the beginning of the club period to walk the kids and their pinwheels to the PE field. We will arrange the kids in a giant peace sign and take an aerial photo for the International Day of Peace site. Lessons for October 11 will be posted on next week’s edition of Lead21.
Spotlight on IMPACT:
- The 7th grade Science PLC has Synergy: The PLC synergized to implement a metric Olympics activity, which engaged students in competitive labs to practice their measurement and estimation skills.
- Also see Ms. McEvoy’s format to provide an opportunity to “Deepen Knowledge” for her students.
- Trying to make the most of your IMPACT time? Reserve an interventionist today! Mr. Ault, Ms. Hendry, or Ms. Lafuente can come in during IMPACT time and work with small groups of students who may need a specific intervention or lesson.
- Please remember it is imperative to leave substitute plans for IMPACT when you are absent so students are engaged during this critical opportunity to sharpen their skills!
Just a reminder magnet tours begin this week. Tours will occur Tuesday each week at 9:35 and Thursday at 1:35. Magnet night will be on October 29. Please direct any questions to Mrs. Ciocca.
Materials for the OCTOBER 8th (not this Tuesday but next) Leadership Lesson will be in your mailbox early this week. This lesson involves FCAT data and you will receive a print out of the FCAT scores for your 8th period class. You will have to communicate the individual FCAT scores to your 8th period students by writing on the provided green touchdown sheets. Again, be looking for this lesson early this week so you can get a jump start.
- End of Nine Weeks Exams for Civics, Alg, Geo, & Spanish are during the Week of Oct 7-11 Click here for the Schedule
- Assembly for Red Ribbon Week Kickoff is Friday, Oct 25th Period 8
- Assembly for SSMS Fundraiser is Tuesday, Oct 29th Period 8
Take a moment to view the attachment below for helpful accommodations for students
Leading Educators Leading Educators partners with schools and districts to maximize the leadership development of early-to-mid-career teachers in order to bolster the talent pipeline via identification and training of strong potential teacher-leaders and, in turn, increase student achievement and develop the skills and sustainability of teachers on their teams. Check out the video below… you may recognize someone : )
HAVE A GREAT WEEK HURRICANES!!!