When students know what their learning target is they are better able to set goals and monitor their own progress. On average, the practice of having students track their own progress was associated with a 32 percentile point gain in their achievement (www.marzanoresearch.com/research/strategy20_trackingprogress.aspx). As we continue to move toward our goal of “Teaching Down the Gap”. Review the process of facilitating the learning goal.
Teachers explicitly instruct and provide opportunities for students to analyze data and set meaningful learning goals by:
- Analyzing class and student data to set goals and change instruction.
- Working collaboratively with students to reflect on their learning progress and performance.
- Establishing processes for students to continuously collect, analyze, and use data to track progress, improve performance, and reach their learning goals (i.e. continuous improvement tools, data notebooks, tracking tools, capacity matrix and/or portfolios.)
I wanted to highlight one of the quotes from our Culturally Relevant Teaching Series Wednesday morning. It is a powerful statement….
“I always tell folks that I grew up black and poor. I then ask them why am I not part of the achievement gap? It is because I had OPPORTUNITIES and EXPECTATIONS. My teachers closed those gaps for me so I am not a part of what we euphemistically call the achievement gap.”
–-Patrick Briggs, AVID CenterEd
Students will turn to pg 133 in their Leadership Notebook, Play Video prior to activity…
Instructional Coaches: Fisher, Mandell, & Hunziker
Click Here for SSMS PD Calendar 2014-2015 FSA TRAINING MODULES AND PRACTICE TESTS Take a moment to review trainer modules and take sample tests individually or as a PLC FOR THE LOVE OF DATA The A-Team
TEACH DOWN THE GAP2014 Ascension & Regression Explanation South Seminole MATH 2014 Ascension & Regression South Seminole READ 2014 Ascension & Regression PLC Teach Down the Gap Plans are Due to your Curriculum Administrator ANNOUNCEMENTS
- CLICK HERE for SSMS Tuesday Morning PLC Format
- CLICK HERE for Upcoming Magnet Information
- CLICK Here for the Deliberate Practice Timeline for Teachers & Administrators
- CLICK Here for the DELIBERATE PRACTICE PLAN IN iOBSERVATION
- CLICK Here for HOW THE INSTRUCTIONAL PRACTICE SCORE IS GENERATED
- CLICK Here for TEACHER EVALUATION SYSTEM INDICATOR SCORING GUIDELINES
Have a Great Weekend!