The SSMS Reading teachers present: “Living on the EDGE of Reading Instruction~ How the EDGE Reading Program enhances all Curriculum Areas”.
The Reading team provided the staff with an overview of the Reading Edge Curriculum. Teachers were provided with student samples, reading strategies and rubrics to support the ELA/Writing initiative for FSA. The goal of this professional development was to provide you with take-aways to utilize in your specific content. In your PLCs brainstorm ways to use expository text, short stories, novels, poetry, drama, and speeches to help students become more strategic readers and learn to respond to text effectively using the writing process. Focus on instruction using the four reading strategies (clarifying, predicting, questioning, and summarizing), building vocabulary and fluency, and on core reading skills such as identifying main ideas, sequencing information and events, comparing and contrasting, distinguishing fact from opinion, recognizing cause/effect and problem/solution relationships, drawing conclusions, and analyzing story elements. Be sure to include your plan in your weekly notes. Thank you in advance for your support.
“Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” ~Margaret Fuller
A round of applause for the Reading Team and our Literacy Coach:
Ms. Rydenbark, Mr. DeJesus, Ms. Luis, Ms. Meade, Ms. Mitchell, Ms. Reinemund and Ms. Mandell!
SSMS WILDLY IMPORTANT GOALS 2014-2015
#1 : Create a culture that empowers student leadership by infusing the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens and Leadership opportunities in all classes.
#2: Students will become Leaders of their Learning by setting goals, tracking progress and celebrating leadership roles.
#3: Through implementing high yield instructional strategies that promote academic Rigor, students will make learning gains in all academic areas.
Wildly Important Personal Goal!!!! You Rock!!!!!
WHAT DOES THE SCHEDULE LOOK LIKE THIS WEEK?
CLICK HERE for the week of December 15 Exam/Bell Schedule
SEE IF YOU CAN “GUESS WHO”?
INSTRUCTIONAL UPDATES & PD OPPORTUNITIES
Instructional Coaches: Fisher, Mandell, & Hunziker
CLICK HERE for SCPS CMAP Training
District PD Opportunity at South Seminole Middle School
FSA TRAINING MODULES AND PRACTICE TESTS
Take a moment to review trainer modules and take sample tests individually or as a PLC
CLICK HERE for FSA Writing Update from FLDOE*********IMPORTANT!
Florida Standards Assessments Training Tests
FSA User Trainer Modules
FOR THE LOVE OF DATA
TEACH DOWN THE GAP
CLICK HERE for Teach Down the Gap #2 PLC Powerpoint Guide
CLICK HERE for Teach Down the Gap Worksheet
PLC Teach Down the Gap Plans are Due to your Curriculum Administrator on December 19th
- Student Led Conference Night was a great success over 250 parents and students attended the event. Hats off to the coaches for providing an FSA ELA overview for our parents.
- Thank you to the AIP Team, Counselors, Coaches and Admin Team for conducting Data Chats with our students last week. OUR students know that THEIR DATA matters! p.s. Special thanks to the Science teachers for letting us invade their classrooms : )
- HOLIDAY BREAKFAST December 15, 2014 from 8:10 – 9:10.. Bring your appetite, AND OF COURSE WEAR YOUR UGLIEST SWEATER TO COMPETE IN OUR ANNUAL UGLY SWEATER CONTEST! LAST YEAR WINNERS WERE THE 7TH GRADE CIVICS TEAM!
- This is the last week to bring in non-perishable food items and cool weather clothes.We are very low on youth boys warm clothes and have no jackets/sweatshirts, or pants left for boys. For more information contact Ms. Orozco.
- Thank for to our PE Team for coordinating the Faculty vs. Student Volleyball tournament!
- FITBIT LEADER BOARD (as of 12/14/14 @ 7:30 p.m. : 1st Place Kiefer: 500,686 steps, 2nd Place Miro: 461,265 and 3rd Place Seshadri: 316,394 (note this is Nov & Dec totals) We Still Have 23 more days of competition!!!! LET”S DO THIS!!!
- Don’t forget to pick up your FITBIT and join the Get Fit Challenge over the holiday.. for more information see Mr. Grace.
Have a Great Week!